Looking for holiday gift ideas? Check out our 2007 Holiday Gift Guide!
“A 33-year-old excavator driver was found dead on Wednesday in Cheongwon, North Chungcheong Province in Korea. The man, identified only with his surname Seo, was found lying dead beside his excavator in a stone quarry in Cheongwon at 8:40 a.m. by his colleagues. His cell phone was found in his shirt pocket with its battery severely melted and his chest burned and fractured, the police said.”
“‘We will fully cooperate with the police investigation,’ an official of the electronics company said. ‘But we believe that the battery was very unlikely to explode. Our battery is wrapped in aluminum foil, so when there is an external shock, it should just melt, not explode.’”
Fractured his chest? What kind of cell phone are we talking about here? Must have been one hell of an explosion. The last time I checked, I could rip through aluminum foil with my bare hands. But hey, technology moves so fast these days that the kids can barely keep up with it.
So who was the manufacturer? LG Electronics. Never fear, the chance of getting killed by an exploding cell phone seems quite rare. Besides, keeping a cell phone in your front shirt pocket proves not only to be dangerous, but also to be a fashion faux pas.
Has a gadget exploded on you? Let us know in the comments.