Microwave fire causes Tech evacuation

    For nearly a half hour Monday afternoon, Tech was evacuated as the Evanston Fire Department extinguished a second-floor fire that started in a microwave oven, according to NUPD Deputy Chief Daniel McAleer.

    "It was very simple. Something was put in the microwave and it was wrapped in aluminum foil," said Evanston Fire Department Captain John Roche, who investigated the incident.

    At 2:37 pm, fire alarms went off inside the M wing and the entire building was evacuated as smoke filled the second floor. At 3:03 pm, the building was re-opened, and caused minimal disruption to scheduled classes.

    "In less than half an hour, things were going back to normal," McAleer said.

    According to Roche, the fire damaged the microwave, a nearby cabinet and some drywall. Smoke damage was minimal. The damage amounted to "a few thousand dollars," Roche said.

    Roche said nine EPD vehicles were dispatched to the fire. There were no injuries, and the fire appears to be accidental.


    blog comments powered by Disqus
    Please read our Comment Policy.