Though it won’t affect anything drastically, the lacrosse team’s loss to the University of Pennsylvania stung big time, snapping a 36-game winning streak and preventing the Wildcats from finishing the regular season undefeated. Women’s tennis jumps back into the top spot after they won a record-breaking 10th-straight Big Ten Title. Now Northwestern’s finest squads prepare for the postseason and championship runs.
1. Women’s Tennis - That’s right, the Wildcats captured their 10th-straight Big Ten title, shutting out the Michigan Wolverines 4-0 in the championship game. Now the team competes to win their first ever national championship.
2. Lacrosse - Sure, ending the dream of an undefeated season with a loss to the University of Pennsylvania sucks, but a one-loss season isn’t too shabby. It’s the upcoming American Lacrosse Conference tournament that truly matters for this team.
3. Softball - After drubbing the University of Illinois-Chicago with a 9-1 win, Northwestern faced two tough Big Ten opponents to close out the week. The ‘Cats swept a two-game series at Penn State, holding on to win the games 1-0 and 6-5. A trip to Ann Arbor to face No. 6 Michigan ended in a split; NU took the first game 2-1, but lost the second 3-2.
4. Baseball - A game against Robert Morris went the Wildcats’ way with a 12-8 victory. A four-game series against the Ohio State Buckeyes ended with a split; OSU blasted the ‘Cats 11-2 in the opener but Northwestern downed the Bucks 6-4 in the second game, Ohio State won the third, and the ‘Cats splitting things up in the last game. That was a long sentence.
5. Men’s Golf - Northwestern finished tied with Ohio State for sixth place at the Big Ten Championships. Michigan State captured the crown.
6. Women’s Golf - The Wildcats finished seventh at the Big Ten Championships, outpacing Iowa and Minnesota by five strokes. Purdue won the Big Ten title.
7. Fencing - The fencing team wrapped up their regular season this week.
8. Men’s Tennis - One and done; Northwestern dropped their opening round match of the Big Ten Championships to Indiana 4-0. They end the season 7-17.