We bid farewell to two Northwestern teams this week— Men’s and Women’s Swimming both finished up their seasons recently, with strong showings to boot. The rankings now feature eight teams, most of whom are doing extremely well, especially old stand-bys Women’s Tennis and Lacrosse. On to our latest and shortest list.
1. Women’s Tennis - Looking as dominant as ever, not many chages for NU. The ‘Cats swept Ohio State 7-0 and earned a 6-1 triumph over Indiana. One change of pace, though: The warmer weather means Northwestern can play outdoors again.
2. Lacrosse - Heading into Sunday’s game at No. 7 in the nation, Duke, NU had never won at the Blue Devil’s Koskinen Stadium. Not any more. The Wildcats edged out Duke 15-11 in the top-ranked team’s toughest game of the season so far.
3. Softball - An undefeated week for the softball squad, as they pounded Loyola (Chicago) 9-1 before no-hitting (courtesy of sophomore Lauren Delaney) Ohio State in the first of a double-header and then blanking the Buckeyes 6-0 in the second game.
4. Men’s Golf - NU finished first at the Notre Dame Spring Invitational, a nine-team tournament held near the Indiana university’s campus. Sophomore David Lipsky captured co-medalist honors, finishing at the top for the first individual win in his career.
5. Baseball - A nice jump for the Wildcat baseball team, who finished at the bottom of last week’s rankings. After a rocky start to the last seven days, losing the first two games of a four-game stand to Michigan State, the ‘Cats roared back to split the series, beating the Spartans 3-2 and then 5-4.
6. Women’s Golf - Bad power ranking timing: The Wildcats are playing in the Indiana Invitational right now, just missing the weekly cut for Power Rankings. See how they fare next week.
7. Fencing - Also just chilling, since they don’t compete again until the end of the month.