Reading Week Calendar: Celebrate the start of winter


    Remember the ice skating scene in Bambi? If you don’t, look it up. You’re guaranteed to want to make the trip to Millennium Park’s ice skating rink.
    McCormick Tribune Ice Rink, 55 N. Michigan
    12 p.m.-8 p.m., skate rental $10

    If you weren’t exactly ice dancing out there, get classy at Fontana Grill, where you can bite into a slice with toppings ranging from salmon to truffle oil. On Monday’s, the restaurant offers a buy one, get one free deal for pizzas.
    1329 W. Wilson
    5 –10 p.m., $15 average entrée


    Sample Teutonic food and drink at Christkindlmarket Chicago, where more than 70 percent of the vendors speak both German and English. Good luck with the other 30 percent.
    Daley Plaza at Washington and Dearborn
    11 a.m.-8 p.m.

    Leave your stress on the ice and watch the Chicago Blackhawks face the St. Louis Blues at the United Center.
    1901 W. Madison
    7 p.m., Tickets start at $30


    For those who like flowers with their firs, the Garfield Park Conservatory hosts its annual Holiday Flower Show through January 9.
    300 N. Central Park
    9 a.m.-8 p.m, Free

    Peeved by poinsettias? Go see Second City’s Dysfunctional Holiday Revue, featuring hilarious seasonal songs and improvisation.
    1616 N. Wells
    7:30 p.m., $22


    Get into the Christmas spirit by visiting Christmas Around the World at the Museum of Science and Industry. The museum will showcase more than 50 trees representing different cultures.
    5700 S. Lake Shore
    9:30 a.m.–4 p.m., $15

    Follow the yellow brick road back to a time when you had never heard of finals. The Emerald City Theatre presents a “rocked out” remix of The Wizard of Oz.
    Apollo Theater, 2540 N. Lincoln
    10:15 a.m., $14


    Discover the sparkling topiaries of Lincoln Park Zoo’s annual ZooLights.
    2200 N. Cannon
    5–9 p.m., Free

    Czech out the Chicago Symphony Orchestra for Slavonic Mass.
    220 S. Michigan Ave.
    8 p.m., $10 for students


    Anything’s better than a gift card. Guarantee Bubbie’s toothless grin and pick up some handmade holiday gifts at the Renegade Craft Fair.
    Pulaski Park Field House, 1419 W. Blackhawk
    11 a.m.–7 p.m., Free

    You did it! Celebrate the end of the beginning with a Mexicana Hot Chocolate at Medici on 57th.
    1327 E. 57th.
    9 a.m.–midnight, $9 average entrée


    blog comments powered by Disqus
    Please read our Comment Policy.