In an email sent to students Thursday afternoon, Vice President for Student Affairs Patricia Telles-Irvin said the University has decided not to take action against the Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity (SAE) over alleged occurrences of sexual assault and the use of date-rape drugs earlier this year. She said the University has concluded its investigation, after thoroughly investigating the allegations, but will continue to investigate SAE for other potential violations not related to sexual misdconduct which surfaced during the sexual assault investigation. The University has also concluded its investigation of a second report of alleged sexual assault and drugging at an unnamed fraternity, according to the email.
The University alerted students in February in an email, as is required by law, of alleged incidents of sexual assault and the use of date-rape drugs at SAE and an unnamed fraternity. There were subsequent student protests and calls for the University to suspend SAE, and SAE's national headquarters issued the chapter a cease-and-desist order shortly after the email alert. NU's Interfraternity Council (IFC) also issued a statement saying the organization will be working hard in the future to combat the culture of toxic masculinity that exists within many NU fraternities.
Telles-Irvin said that the Sexual Health and Prevention Office (SHPO) will be working with fraternities and sororities to provide additional outreach and training on sexual assault prevention as a result of these reports. The SHPO will also add a new staff member who will specifically deal with Title IX outreach and education efforts in the future.
Editor's note: This story was updated at 3:51 p.m. to include information regarding the second report also investigated by the University.